Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Unfinished conversations


Muse

What did you think I’d think
In this electric afterglow
Of thought-current
Crackling between the two of us

That this is mundane
That every man I meet generates a power surge
In every neuron, so that my brain aches with aftershocks
And afterthoughts
And half-finished trains departing without you on board?

I cannot allow you the comfort
Of that.
Not even at this distance

It’s done now.
Connection made, knot tied, never to be untangled
Whether life or love come between.
I know it well enough for what it is
And know you do
Younger in years but wiser perhaps
An older head then mine

I would not wish regrets
On such a prodigy, immaculately conceived

Keep your distance, and I’ll keep mine
Till one or other of us has the wit
To learn the fancy footwork that will carry us
Through a lifetime of such unfinished conversations.


No comments:

Post a Comment